Join us for a delightful and immersive fiber arts experience at the Nome Schoolhouse with our “Taste of Fiber” event. Discover your passion for fiber arts and find your happy place in a welcoming and creative environment. Our program offers a wide range of engaging activities where you can explore various fiber art skills and tech
niques. From learning about different types of fibers to creating your own yarn and utilizing it for exciting projects, this retreat is designed to inspire and ignite your creativity.
Throughout the weekend, you’ll be immersed in a schedule packed with enriching activities. On Thursday morning, the adventure begins with your first class at 9:00 am. Friday promises a day filled with exciting workshops, delicious meals, and opportunities to socialize and connect with fellow fiber enthusiasts. On Saturday, you’ll participate in two additional classes before concluding the day at 1:30 pm.
As part of the retreat package, you’ll enjoy hotel accommodations for Thursday and Friday nights. If you’re interested in extending your stay, please let us know if you’d like to book a room for Thursday night as well, or conveniently book online.
Below are individual class descriptions that offer a glimpse into the diverse fiber arts experiences awaiting you:
- Drop Spindle: Discover the joy of spinning yarn using the simplest method available. In this class, we’ll start with an introduction to the characteristics of wool that make it ideal for creating yarn. You’ll then engage in a hands-on exercise to learn the spinning technique. After familiarizing yourself with the spindle and its components, we’ll guide you through the process with practical demonstrations. By the end of the class, we’ll cover plying, creating a finished yarn, and offer a show-and-tell session to showcase your creations.
- Carding Wool: Explore the art of carding wool while crafting batts and rollags. Through this class, you’ll learn the art of combining colors and selecting harmonious fiber combinations. We’ll also provide essential maintenance tips to keep your carding equipment in excellent condition. By delving into the color wheel, you’ll discover techniques to create new colors by blending existing ones.
- Wet Felting: Experience the enchantment of wet felting, a magical technique that allows you to create fiber items without the need for needles, hooks, or stitches. We’ll delve into the mechanics of wet felting, helping you choose the perfect fibers for your project. Each student will have the opportunity to complete a personal project using this versatile method.
- Spinning on a Spinning Wheel: Building upon the skills acquired in the drop spindle class, this workshop introduces the use of a spinning wheel. Whether you bring your own wheel or utilize one provided, you’ll apply your knowledge to create a single ply. Additionally, you’ll learn how to wind off your yarn using a knitty knotty or a nostepinne.
- Crochet: Master the art of crochet by creating the beloved granny square. Through this class, you’ll gain proficiency in chaining, single crochet, and double crochet stitches. With these fundamental skills in hand, you’ll learn to assemble the stitches into a beautiful granny square.
- Dyeing: Unleash your creativity by dyeing a scarf, fiber, or yarn. As you immerse yourself in the dyeing process, we’ll discuss the creation of dyes for different fiber types and explore the concept of complementary colors. Once your dye project is complete, we’ll hold a quick show-and-tell session to admire everyone’s unique creations.
- Weaving on a Small Loom: Discover the art of weaving using a small loom and create a charming mug rug-sized sampler. As you weave, we’ll delve into the historical significance of this craft. Once the project is finished, you’ll learn essential finishing techniques to complete your work. Feel free to incorporate your spun yarn or carded fiber from previous classes into this project.
- Needle Felting: Indulge in the basics of needle felting while crafting a delightful bouquet of flowers. This introductory class offers an easy and enjoyable way to learn needle felting techniques.
Be part of the 2023 fiber retreat at this amazing location and immerse yourself in a weekend brimming with creativity and inspiration. You can conveniently book your retreat and accommodations online. Questions, please contact Kristin Fraser, Nome Schoolhouse Venue Coordinator, and Nome Eweniversity Executive Director, at 701-850-9157 or via email at [email protected].
Note: The class schedule and descriptions are subject to change